This recipe is based on my mother-in-law’s fail proof, easy-to-make recipe for scones. I simply changed the oil type and added in some cheese for flavour, so that Bean can eat them on their own as a snack or for breakfast. The scones take about 30 minutes to make and bake, so they are ideal for busy-body, on-the-go moms like myself and they are delicious: so much cheesy goodness! Best of all, this recipe has no sugar in it – so it is perfect for toddlers.
Recipe makes 6 scones.
- 1½ cups self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- extra coconut oil
- ¾ cup milk (estimate – see method below)
- ½ cup grated cheese (cheddar or gouda)
- Preheat the oven to 220°C
- Spread a thin layer of the extra coconut oil into the muffin tray
- Combine the flour, baking powder and cheese in a mixing bowl
- In a cup, add the coconut oil and the egg (beaten)
- Top up the egg and coconut oil mixture with milk so that the combined mixture measures 1 cup.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently mix using a knife (this is important as the success of a well baked scone lies in the fact that the dough is not overworked).
- Place equal amounts of dough into the muffin tray (although this is not the traditional way of baking scones, it does make the baking process a lot easier).
- Place the tray into the oven and bake for approximately 10 minutes.
- Once baked, remove the tray from the oven and allow to cool. Store in an airtight container.
They are great on their own or with jam and cream.
Enjoy and let me know how yours turned out!