I am pregnant – whoop! 17 weeks and counting and I have been craving peanut butter and jam sandwiches (something I would normally never eat). Not wanting to pick up all my pregnancy weight in one week, however, I have decided to make these nut butter and apricot energy balls.
They are a great remedy for constipation (thank you dried apricot), they taste like peanut butter and jam, if you use peanut butter instead of another nut butter (hooray) and they contain super healthy, calcium, iron and omega packed chia seeds.
Plus my Beanie-Bean loves them too.
These energy balls can be kept in an airtight container in a fridge or they can be frozen and defrosted when the craving hits.
Use gluten-free oats should you prefer gluten-free energy balls.
- 200g dried apricots
- 50g blanched almonds (roughly chopped)
- 50g dates (pitted and roughly chopped)
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup nut butter (either Macadamia, Peanut or Almond)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- Place the almonds and oats in a food processor and pulse on a low speed until a fine crumb has formed
- Add the apricots, dates, chia seeds and nut butter and process further until a putty-like consistency has been reached
- Pour the mixture into a bowl
- Spread the coconut onto a large plate
- Form little bite-sized balls by rolling the mixture between your hands
- Roll the balls in the coconut until they are evenly coated